It is the beginning of the new year, and everyone is making a new resolution on how to turn things around with an acronym – “New Year, New Me.” One of the popular resolutions in the health world is “skin detoxification.” As January rolls in, this is the right time to set a new target on how to look more beautiful and achieve that glowing and overall healthy skin.
Lately, I have not been paying attention at the food I have been eating. I could see that my skin has deteriorated over time. My skin has became oily, like when I was a teenager and I some spots have appeared overtime. There is no doubt; there are too much of toxins in my body and I need to watch more closely at what I eat daily. The best way to tackle this is by embracing natural “detox” diet. I will call it “detox” but in reality it is a simple life style by making sure I eat properly guaranteeing me a radiant looking skin.
In my opinion wellness movement of the year should be “detoxification.” In a bid to detoxify your skin, eating healthy diet to treat toxins in your body is considered more effective and natural than other artificial methods of skin care. Embracing a simple detox diet is the right way to go in 2019.
Etherne and I aim to use this post to share the best skin detox diet you can consider for achieving glowing and younger skin as you start your healthy journey this year. The right detox plan assists you in flushing out toxins from your body and not only gives you glowing skin but also gives you lustrous hair, aids weight loss, boosts cognitive function and improves digestion and metabolism.
What are Toxins?
Toxins are any substance that causes damages to your body. They enter the body via processed foods, smoking, medication, caffeine, clothing, air, mold, and other environmental toxins including pesticides and heavy metals. While the immune system, kidneys, and liver strive to remove toxins as they get into the body, it gets to a stage when its levels exceed the capacity of the body to remove them; hence, there is need to detox the body to get them removed.
Toxins can store in the body for as long you allow them to stay until it gets to a point the body can’t withstand it again and you start feeling ill. One of the signs is evidenced on the skin, affects your beauty and overall skin health.
What should we eat to Detox?
To detox your system, you will need a combination of nutrients such as minerals, vitamins, and phytonutrients these can be found in the following skin healthy foods:
- Fatty Fish. Fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel and herring, are excellent foods for healthy skin.
- Avocados. Avocados are high in healthy fats.
- Walnuts. Walnuts have many characteristics that make them an excellent food for healthy skin.
- Fruits: Fruits such as cranberries, blueberries, apples, pears, grapefruit, lemons, oranges, citrus peel.
- Sunflower Seeds.
- Sweet Potatoes.
- Red or Yellow Bell Peppers.
- Carrots, apricots, and other yellow and orange fruits and vegetables such as Allium family – onions, garlic, chives, leeks, Spinach, and other green leafy vegetables.
- Legumes: Lentils, beans, peas, chickpeas
- caraway and dill seeds, and oilHerbs and spices: Rosemary, cumin, turmeric
- caraway and dill seeds, and oil
Skin Detox Diet Plan
what I will give here is a simple detox, focusing also on improving the skin; however, all the recipes and the ingredients are just sometimes hard to find, and we don’t really have time to cook some difficult recipes. Hence, my final detox diets will be focusing on the ‘Mediterranean diets,’ but, although I will limit carbs I will not eliminate them altogether and I will use a wholegrain alternative.
Also, it is essential to always start your morning with “Morning Detox Water.” What is morning detox water? Relax! You will discover that in table. Below is a weekly detox diet that can change your story for good:
Warm water + juice of ½ organic lemon
- Green Tea
- Oats with water (porridge) with cinnamon and half banana; or
- A slide of multigrain wholegrain bread with light jam or almond/nuts butter
- Homemade berries, banana and cinnamon Pancakes (only weekend)
- 1 bowl of fresh fruits (Ananas or Banana) or few Nuts
- Big Mix – salad with the following ingredients depending on your likes: avocado; lettuce; rocket; tomatos; steamed broccoli or cauliflower; cucumber roasted sweet potatos or asparagus; raw peppers and carrots. For non Vegan days i normally add in alternative Feta, a boiled egg, good quality small fish tuna in brine,
- (dressing: 1 or 2 teaspoon of organic extra virgin olive oil and a tea spoon of apple vinegra)
- Homemade soup (Minestrone; Peas;Punpimks; Broccoli&Spinach; and Lentils).
- Chickpeas; Beans (I add pasta sometimes – Tagliatelle and instead of adding already made broth I add carrot/celery/onion with water and with the main ingredients.
- Grilled breast chicken; Low Fat Grilled Steak; Boiled Salmon; Cod; King Prawns; Squids – as side dish steamed spinach; fennel grate’; steamed asparagus and other vegetable
- Chickpeas or Lentils soup
- Brown Rise with Vegetable and homemade broth
- light Omelette with mushrooms or/and cherry tomatoes
- Pizza (only weekend)
Camomile; or Fennell; or Nettle
Extra virgin Olive Oil
The Olive Oil is fat monosaturated rich of polifenoli as Neal Shipley, medical director of the Northwell Health-GoHealth Urgent Care of New York said. The polifenoli are famous to be an essential element of an healthy diet and these are they can fight age-related diseases such as hypertension and heart disease. This is a real elixir of long lasting life. The olive oil is essential in the Beauty as it helps the hair to feel smooth and silk. I have added couple of drops to my shampoo to see an immediate effect. You can use to remove makeup as it also reduce acne, great for anti age prevention and thanks to its andioxidant and vitamin E. So use it use it
Foods to avoid during Detox Diet
It is advisable to embrace a disciplined lifestyle and avoid anything that can reduce the effects of your detox diet. During your detox diet, avoid the following food: Processed and refined food; Sugar; fatty Red meat; Salted nuts and savory snacks; Sodas; Ready-made salad dressing; Cheese; Sausages, burgers and bacon; Cream; Mayonnaise; Alcohol; Butter and margarine; Readymade foods; Coffee
The Year 2019 promises to be a healthy year if you are ready to dive into it. All you need is “discipline.” Embracing a skin detox diet requires a disciplined lifestyle. However, the post has shared all you need to know to get you through your detox journey in January and beyond.
Disclaimer: It is worthy of mentioning that this is my personal diet tested for years, it has been discussed with a doctor and it works for me. If you intend to start a diet you should always seek medical advice before using any information on this post or any other post that you see online by so called “expert dietitian” without any real qualification. Contact me if you have any question. Stay tuned for more informative posts from this page!